Sunday, January 22

The Power of One...

I started writing this blog back in July to help promote my VERY new furniture finishing business.  I thought it would be a great way to link up to other blogger's sites and maybe get some traffic my way if they liked what they saw.  My first link was with Miss Mustard Seed (go big or go home, right?) I linked this project...




Traffic thru the roof, at least in my eyes!  Maybe got a couple followers and Thank You so much to those who did decide to follow!

I decided to attend my first Antique Flea Market as sort of an experiment, wanted to see if I could do it and I asked my hubby if he would help me as a birthday present. Well, we did ok, made a small profit but it really was more of a learning experience.  It's funny how all the things you learn in a past experience you can apply on a daily basis.  In my former life, I was a retail District Manager for a amazing retailer and some of the things we stressed to our teams was that you must understand traffic patterns, that visual is the key to pulling a potential customer to you and connecting with every customer possible is non-negotiable! So, I had one thing going for me, I connected with every customer I could.  Visuals? Sort of.  Staged a bit and just as a word of warning...Don't stage with anything you don't want to sell! Yep, sold some of my decor. Traffic?? We watched and paid attention. Who was coming to look, what were they looking at and listened to conversations being had about the furniture. My husband and I walked away with BIG take aways.  Smalls and staging is HUGE, almost as important as the furniture itself.  People loved the furniture and I was complimented on my finishing. :)  I even left with more than I came with thanks to Carole, who bought some unfinished furniture sent me home with it.  Some leap of faith and trust on her behalf!
After the flea market, the business took off where I was busy, busy, busy.
 Notice the lack of the word BLOG? 
Onward... decided to participate in one more Flea Market to see if I could apply my learnings from the last show and how it would work this time.  HOLY SMOKES!! We had incredible traffic, staged to the nines and sales were out of this world. We were complimented that we had the best area in the market! Cloud nine and  I couldn't have been happier and my hubby equally since he gave up going to the Bears vs. Packers game to support me! After the flea market I was approached by a local store to paint for her and I love the partnership and exposure I gained from Janet. She kept me busy.

I felt that maybe I didn't need a blog nor did I have time to manage that, FB, Etsy, finish furniture as well as keeping up with a three kids and the hubby.  Time management, not my strongest attribute.

Ok, so I know how your asking yourself how does just have anything to do with "The Power of One"?  When, I was a DM, we sometimes incorporated in our meetings motivational items to pump everyone up.  There was one in particular that always stood out.  Have you ever seen this?

The 212° concept:
  • At 211° degrees water is hot
  • At 212° degrees, it boils.
  • And with boiling water comes steam
  • And with steam, you can power a machine
The one extra degree....Makes all the difference.
~Sam Parker 212° The Extra Degree

I connected on a FB thread through Rebecca @ youaretalkingtoomuch.com  where she just said I'm going to throw it out there and let's all introduce ourselves and our blogs.  I took the chance and put myself out there to introduce me and my so-called, non-existent blog.  I received such wonderful compliments and it really just took one to make me realize what I am missing out on.  The blog world is big, scary but there is so much camaraderie and it's not about what "traffic" you can pull to your site it's what I totally forgot/ lost site of numero uno....CONNECT with your customer/friends/colleagues.

Sorry so long winded, just passionate about where I was and what I want/hope to become....Better blogger, friend and colleague!! Remember it only takes one to lift you up and realize that your missing out on.  I want to be that one....

Here's to the new 63rd Avenue....hope to make you laugh, inspire you and if I'm lucky, teach you something you didn't already know!

XOXO
Jorie

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jorie! I just found your blog and this post was so perfectly timed for me! Like you knew I was out there needing some encouragement! I am brand new to All of this...I have a brand new little business and I am doing my first vintage market in June! I've been working so hard all Winter getting lots of furniture ready and lots of smalls! I am very very new to blogging, and I love my followers...it feels so special when they choose you! This is so huge for me and comes at a time when others are thinking I should be getting a "real career". Ha, isnt junk a real career! I have no idea what to expect from my first show and I am very nervous and very excited! So, just wanted you to know you did indeed inspire someone, you inspired me to continue to lead with my heart and have a lot of Faith! Thanks! redhenandhoneybee.com
    Warmly, Melissa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melissa! What a way to wake up and read your wonderful comments! Thank you so much! This "hobby" (I use that term loosely) is very hard work but I love it as well. Please, if there is anyway I can be of help for your first show, let me know!!!

      Best Wishes!
      Jorie

      Delete

 

© All Rights Reserved. | Blog Design By Penny Lane Designs